Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Why Fake Flowers Made Me Cry

(one of my parting notes from Sunday, so sweet)


Last Sunday I was released from my calling as Young Women's President since we're moving to a new Ward. Honestly, I can't believe I made it out to tell the tale so I wanted to document so I could look back someday and say "hey, self...you did this before, you can do it again!"

I got called last May when Carter just turned 2 and Drake was 6 months old, still nursing and not even sleeping through the night yet. I hadn’t been in YW since I was a young woman myself. I thought Bishop was joking when he extended the call. In the past year responsibilities consisted of mutual every Wednesday, Ward council meetings, BYC meetings, Teacher Council lessons, Temple trips, one MAJOR boundary change (resulting in a new Bishopric), 2 quad-stake dances we were in charge of, one Ward Halloween party, one Stake Priest/Laurel activity, new beginnings, young women's in excellence, two enormous camp fundraisers and weekly lessons on Sundays.


During this time I was also working outside the home for 3+ days a week, my dad was diagnosed with cancer (lymphoma), my mom had a hip replacement, my sister was going through a messy divorce, our condo was put up for sale (showings!!), my husband was working full time + going to school and we bought a house.


While this doesn't make much sense, I don’t know if I would have gotten through all the craziness in my personal life had it not been for the craziness of my calling. You see, the key to keeping me happy is keeping me busy. While I could have been okay with a bit (ok a lot) less on my plate, these girls have been my angels. They would text me scriptures. They would share uplifting missionary moments in class. They would talk to me about teenage girl things like shoes and boys and sports and food. When I felt like my life was too heavy, they lifted me up. Even when they talked to me about very difficult things, those conversations helped to strengthen my testimony because I was able to feel God's love for them. The calling gave me a reason to study scriptures and conference talks differently and pray with some serious intent! Every time I thought I was going to have a breakdown, Heavenly Father would send me a tender mercy to make it all worth it.

I also got the chance to serve with some AMAZING leaders. When I was set apart I remember being told that I would make close friends while being in this calling, and let me tell you, I couldn't be more obsessed with Suzi, Kaylie, Heather, Alisha, Harmony, Anna, Lisa and Marcia. Those ladies have seen ALL the crazy I have to offer and still supported me. It takes a village. A hardworking, selfless, energetic village. Anyways, I guess all I'm saying is it's true that who the Lord calls, he qualifies. I failed at a lot of things, but after last Sunday at least I know that the girls felt loved.

If you have a chance to serve with the youth, embrace it. They are the best the world has ever had to offer. Also, if you come across a YW leader, give her either a hug or chocolate. Chances are she really needs it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment